Brunel Institute at Brunel's SS Great Britain
Access the objects and expert help from one of the world's finest maritime collections. Another '101-Must-Visit' location for Bristol, especially for any of you who are researching your roots and ancestors.
More specifically, they host:
- 6,500 maritime books, including an almost complete run of Lloyd’s Register dating back to the 1700s
- 7,300 ship plans
- The National Brunel Collection of objects and archive relating to the Brunel family
- 100 ship models
- 35,000 maritime photographic postcards
- Diaries and personal letters relating to passengers and crew of the SS Great Britain
- Over 50 films of historic maritime craft
- Hundreds of works of art
Note the mixed opening hours and days before you visit.
The Brunel Institute has separate opening times to Brunel's SS Great Britain:
Tue to Fri : Open 10.30am to 4.30pm
Sat: Open 10.30am to 4.30pm on the first two Saturdays of every month